- LOCATION: CUNEO, ITALY
- STATUS: IN OPERATION SINCE FEBRUARY 2012
- APPLICATION: HEAT RECOVERY
- CUSTOMER: AGC GLASS EUROPE
- DESCRIPTION: ELECTRIC POWER PRODUCTION FROM WASTE HEAT IN FLOAT GLASS PRODUCTION PROCESS
- MODEL: TURBODEN 12 HRS
- POWER: 1.3 MWe
- WATER TEMPERATURE (IN/OUT): 25– 35 °C
- The first Turboden ORC in the glass industry
Based in Louvain-La-Neuve (Belgium), AGC Glass Europe produces, processes and distributes flat glass for the construction (external glazing and interior decorative glass), the automotive (original & replacement glass) and the solar sectors. It is the European branch of AGC Glass, the world's largest producer of flat glass.
Turboden investigated a method to valorize waste heat from the float glass production process of AGC Glass Europe in Cuneo, Italy.
A Turboden 12 HRS module with a 1.3 MWe output was selected for the project. The residual heat from the flue gases is recovered and transferred, via a heat exchanger, to the thermal oil that is consequently delivered to the ORC. A major revamp of the exhaust line was performed in order to comply with the emissions limits stated by local laws. Overall, the project improved the energy efficiency of the glass production plant significantly, reducing CO2 emissions and paving way for further incentives.