West Fraser Mills
- LOCATION: BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA
- STATUS: IN OPERATION SINCE 2014 - 2015
- APPLICATION: BIOMASS
- CUSTOMER: WEST FRASER MILLS
- DESCRIPTION: POWER ONLY
- MODEL: 4 x TURBODEN 65 HRS
- POWER: 26 MWe
- WATER TEMPERATURE (IN/OUT): 24 - 34°C
- 4 ORC units of 6.5 MWe for the largest lumber producer in North America
West Fraser Mills Ltd is the largest lumber producer in North America, founded in 1955. The company is an integrated forest products company producing lumber, wood chips, fiberboard, plywood, pulp, and newsprint in Canada and the United States.
Turboden has investigated the opportunity to supply 4 ORC units to 2 sites in British Columbia, Canada. The sites, owned by West Fraser Mills and located in Chetwynd and Fraser Lake, are home to lumber mills.
Turboden supplied 2 ORC’s of equivalent power to each site, totalling. In each site, 2 ORC units are installed, totaling 4 ORC units of 6.5 MW each are installed in Chetwynd, and Fraser Lake sites, reaching a total production of 26 MW. West Fraser Mills runs the ORC-based power plants, fed with waste wood from two large sawmills, to supply electricity to BC Hydro (provincial utility) on a long term Power Purchase Agreement.